Sticky, Crispy Sesame Chicken
By: Nathalie Faydherbe
Ingredients:Boiled Rice (I used jasmine)
3/4 – 1 Cup of Canola Oil.
Sesame Seeds (Garnish)
Spring Onions (Garnish)
Chicken:1 Whole Chicken ( 4 large Chicken breasts) (bite size cubes)
2 Large Eggs
1/2 -3/4 Cup Cornflour
1 – 1 1/2 Cup of Bread Crumbs
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder or Crushed Garlic
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Sesame
2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar (or Chinese Rice Vinegar)
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Sweet Chili
3 Tablespoons Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- To start off, boil your rice as instructed on the packet. Once cooked, Rinse and strain it and place it aside.
- Fillet the whole chicken and cut all the meat into bite size portions.
- Place the Cornflour in a plastic bag/bowl. Add the Chicken to the Cornflour and move the pieces around until completely covered.
- In a new bowl – whisk the 2 eggs together and take the Cornflour covered Chicken pieces and roll them in the egg mix until fully covered.
- Lastly in a new plastic bag/bowl, mix together the Breadcrumbs, Paprika, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder.
- Then take the Egg and Cornflour Chicken pieces and toss them in the bread crumbs until they are fully coated.
- Place a medium size pot/ wok on the stove and pour in 1cm of Canola Oil.
- Once the oil has reached a hot enough temperature to sizzle the chicken away. Carefully drop the chicken pieces in one at a time and stir around until beautifully golden and cooked through. (You can cut through a piece of chicken in the beginning to check it is cooked)
- While the chicken is cooking, in a new bowl place all the Sauce ingredients together and mix well.
- Take the chicken out the wok/pot and place on a plate with a paper towel under to absorb some of the oil.
- Place the sauce mixture in a large enough wok/ Pan to fit all the chicken in (alternatively you can half the sauce and cook it in 2 batches with the chicken if you do not have a big enough pan) heat the sauce on a medium heat until it starts to thicken, and then add in the chicken.
- Toss the chicken through the sauce until all covered and then remove from heat.
- slice the Spring Onions and In a small new pan toasted the sesame seeds.
- Plate up the rice and chicken and top off with the Sesame seeds and Spring Onions.